Hammers fans will be hoping that yesterday's much needed win over Wolves signals that our new squad is finally starting to gel. Overall, the signs were certainly positive and at VERYWESTHAM we noted five reasons to be cheerful.
1. Scamacca looks the real deal. Aggressive, quick, good in the air and willing to shoot on sight, the lad has the skillset managers dream of. Still only 23, he has lots to learn but after a frustrating period where he was fighting of a virus, his first Premiership goal looks likely to open a floodgate. The skill involved in his goal should not be underestimated. He looks like Arnie without the churlishness.
2. Kehrer is a top class player - calm on the ball, intelligent in defence and adaptable across the back line. Apparently he has leadership presence in the dressing room too! Over time he may well even challenge Soucek for the second central midfield berth! What a bargain at £10m! Coufal has struggled since he was needlessly kneed in the groin by Matic and maybe a break is needed - with Kehrer, Johnson and Coufal (and Ashby?) Available to play at RB we have strength in depth. And let's not forget that Antonio can play there too (just kidding!).
3. Soucek played his best Hammers game in a long time - better on the ball (i.e. quicker) and he was excellent in defence. Let's hope he can get to the level he was at 12 months ago - if so, we will likely go on a winning run.
4. With Bowen it was only a matter of time before things clicked back into gear. He rides the waves with his abrasive style and that can be frustrating if its only slightly off, but on form it is almost unmarkable! He's off the mark and we know what's coming next - with Fulham, Southampton and Liverpool over the next few games we can push on.
5. Paqueta is slowly getting to grips with the Premiership - it takes time but his attitude is exemplary and in all honesty a different ref would have given him 4 or 5 extra free kicks yesterday.
So, the Hammers are out of the bottom three and firmly looking up - a decent haul over the next few games and we will be back on the edge of European places - you know it makes sense!